Volunteers are the life blood of foodbanks. Your skills could be just what we need. We have a wide range of opportunities available. Some are listed below; please get in touch.
Volunteers are the driving force behind foodbanks. There are thousands of volunteers across the UK, helping The Trussell Trust Foodbank Network get emergency food to people in crisis. We want you to enjoy volunteering and there are lots of ways to get involved. Whatever role you choose, you will make a real difference to the life of someone in crisis.
Our Current Vacancies are:
- Volunteers (Wednesdays)
- Warehouse Volunteers
- Branch Coodinator
- South Molton Coordinator
General Vacancies and Job Descriptions:
Helping at a foodbank centre (Branch Volunteer)
Meet clients and give out food parcels. Have an informal chat with clients over a cup of tea, to discuss their situation and signpost to further support.
Reports To: Foodbank Coordinator
Responsibilities (some of which may be delegated):
- Oversee a Foodbank Distribution Centre, seeking to develop support services that will help clients break the circle of poverty
- Monitor and evaluate client needs and with Centre staff support them to appropriate services beyond food
- Identify the most urgent services required by clients and set up and implement to meet the need of clients accessing a Foodbank Centre
- Manage Foodbank Centre volunteers
- Liaise with existing clients/distributors to monitor services or training required to solve/assist their crisis or organisation
- Undertake occasional visits to distributors as required to monitor their use of the project
- Arrange promotional talks to distributors and supporters as appropriate (in cooperation with Foodbank Ambassadors)
- Liaise with other Foodbank staff concerning fundraising or food related issues
- Bring to the attention of the Northern Devon Foodbank Administrator (or a Trustee if necessary) any concerns about the Foodbank Centre
- Production of Monthly Project Report
- Sympathetic management of staff
- Computer Literate
- Ability to work with people who are facing difficult life situations
- Organisation and planning
- Communication – both written and oral
- Driver preferred
- A Mature Christian Faith preferred
- An understanding of the Christian values of the supporting churches
- Ability to work unsupervised
- Honesty and integrity
- Ability to lead and work as part of a team
- Value all the people who come into contact with the Foodbank
- Physically able to complete tasks described
Training (Training appropriate to the successful candidate will be provided; the following are representative but not exhaustive examples)
- Induction training
- Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults
- IT training as required
- Food Hygiene, H&S as appropriate
- Listening skills, Hard to Reach Group Training
Hours: Variable, averaging 4-6 per week depending on how many responsibilities are delegated to team members
- To help create, plan and manage all logistics in delivering fundraising events
- Requirements: Excellent organisation, marketing and negotiation skills and previous fundraising experience. Access to car or good transport links (reimbursement for each car journey is provided)
- Location: Home and in the community or in the office.
- Hours available: To suit
Social Media Correspondent
Our Facebook and Twitter account needs constant updating.
Public Relations Coordinator
Responsible for the execution of Public Relations for Northern Devon Foodbanks ongoing communications, such as press releases and supporting multimedia assets. Maintain relationships with key media sources ensuring goals are being met. Develop and manage new Public Relations opportunities and strategies.
- Identify and propose stories to help promote general awareness of Northern Devon Foodbank to the media and general public.
- Cultivate relationships with media – both traditional and new media.
- Develop strategies that helps promote and support fundraising.
- Speak publicly to promote Northern Devon Foodbank.
- Field media enquiries and present proposed responses to the Foodbank Coordinator
Skills and Qualifications:
- Good computer knowledge
- Knowledge of PR and Media, including social media
- Excellent writing skills
- Excellent time management
- Team player
- Excellent communication skills
- Driver Preferred
Our local website needs constant attention. Could your digital skills help communicate our message to a local and global audience? You will need to know a little about websites and ideally have experience of using WordPress (though training and support is available).
If you are interested in volunteering please get in touch, we’d love to hear from you!
You can download an application form here! once completed you can take it to your local branch for an informal chat, post it to the office at: Northern Devon Foodbank, Supreme House, Pitt Lane, Bideford, Devon, EX39 3JA, or you can email it to email@example.com